Monday, March 5, 2012

Raspberry Pi - Case Prototypes

I recently started a campaign to raise money to manufacture production quality, injection molded cases through kickstarter. Unfortunately, that campaign ultimately was unsuccessful.

There is clearly a desire for cheap, quality cases... but I had trouble getting the word out.

Since you are here, you most likely backed the project, and as promised, I was still going to offer up the prototype cases.

Currently, I'm printing cases in Red & Black, but colors are always subject to change based on which plastic I have available... for that reason, I'm going to be selling the cases as 'surprise' packs... In other words, you will get a case, but the color will be a surprise to you until you receive the case. :)

If you REALLY must have a particular color, I'll definitely be able to make that happen, but I prefer to just print them in mass, and then when your order comes into queue, just send it to you.

All orders will be processed in the order they are received.

Some notes about the prototype cases:
  • They aren't perfect. These are prototype cases. They will 100% Fit the Pi, but the fit might be tight (designed that way since it doesn't screw down). You may end up having to file a part of the case to get a perfect fit, but every case is different so you won't know till you get your case if you need to clean it up at all.
  • They are prone to warping if you get it very HOT. The type of plastic I am using is PLA (Polylactic Acid)... or, sugar plastic. It is hard, (Very Hard), in fact, it is harder then ABS (which is used in legos). But its melting point is lower. (I print at 160 C). If you left this in a hot car all day, ~120 in the car on a hot day, it could warp, so don't do that.
  • The finish might be rough. These are 3D Printed, so don't expect glass. They look good, but don't be surprised if it doesn't look like your iphone case.


I'm selling them for $18 each, +s/h. Yes, I will also ship international.

I can print about 8 cases a day, so I'll process them in the order I receive orders, until they are all fulfilled.

I'll e-mail out tracking information as soon as your order is in the mail.

Thanks!
Justin

4 comments:

  1. Sad you didn't get the funding through Kickstarter as this could be a real winner. I would like to order a case as I was a backer. How do I get the money to you; do you have a secure payment method as I don't fancy sending c/card details unsecured. I am ordering from London, England. Also what is the postage cost going to be. Thanks and all the best for the future Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. All ok as I found the link to paypal later on. Thanks. Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see a reply, but what is the postage to the UK so I can order one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, any chance of getting on with one of the 5v fans as well?

    ReplyDelete